Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Keep me safe, Lord, from the hands of the wicked; protect me from the violent, who devise ways to trip my feet. The arrogant have hidden a snare for me; they have spread out the cords of their net and have set traps for me along my path.

Psalm 120, 121, 140, 143 and 144

Keep me safe, Lord, from the hands of the wicked; protect me from the violent, who devise ways to trip my feet. The arrogant have hidden a snare for me; they have spread out the cords of their net and have set traps for me along my path. Psalm 140:4-5

Day 113 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues my focus on 112 of David's psalms which my study has not already covered or will not cover through other daily devotions as part of a broader study within their historical context. This study of these 112 psalms groups the psalms into five major topical areas, and I continue with "Psalms of the Troubled Soul".

Today's psalms focus on prayers for deliverance from lying Gentiles who press war, praise for the Lord who watches over his people, prayers for protection from violent persons, prayer for preservation of life and protection against trouble, and for God's power.

As motivation to draw near to God, so we can draw upon the strength of God's promises and protect ourselves with a heart of gratitude, we should recognize that there is a battle raging for our soul over sin.  Satan is all around us and on the prowl.  David gets it right - we all need a savior.

Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings. 1 Peter 5:8-9
 
 My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who protects me - thank You Jesus!  I am undeserving of Your love and protection.  I continue to sin...primarily in the workplace but everywhere in my life.  Please forgive me Lord.  Help me turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.