Thursday, May 14, 2020

But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing the Lord’s praise, for he has been good to me....As for me, I will be vindicated and will see your face; when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness....Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever....My feet stand on level ground; in the great congregation I will praise the Lord....The Lord is the strength of his people, a fortress of salvation for his anointed one. Save your people and bless your inheritance; be their shepherd and carry them forever....Love the Lord, all his faithful people! The Lord preserves those who are true to him, but the proud he pays back in full. Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.

Psalm 13, 17, 23, 26, 28, and 31 

But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing the Lord’s praise, for he has been good to me....As for me, I will be vindicated and will see your face; when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness....Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever....My feet stand on level ground; in the great congregation I will praise the Lord....The Lord is the strength of his people, a fortress of salvation for his anointed one. Save your people and bless your inheritance; be their shepherd and carry them forever....Love the Lord, all his faithful people! The Lord preserves those who are true to him, but the proud he pays back in full. Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.  Psalm 13:5-6, 17:15, 23:6, 26:12, 28:8-9, 31:23-24

Day 108 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues my focus on 112 of David's psalms which my study has not already covered or will not cover through other daily devotions as part of a broader study within their historical context. This study of these 112 psalms groups the psalms into five major topical areas, and I continue with "Psalms of the Troubled Soul".

The psalms from my reading this morning reflect David's prayers for salvation and rescue from enemies, praise of God as the Good Shepherd, for redemption of the righteous and punishment for the wicked, and relief from pursuers and slanderers. What is apparent from these psalms is that while David does have moments of despair, worry, etc. - he does not remain in these moments.  With exception to Psalm 23 where the entire psalm is focused on praise, the other psalms move from cries to the Lord to praise and rest in the Lord and His faithfulness to rescue, comfort, and heal His children.  God is faithful - we can and SHOULD rest in His arms.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who is always there to lift me up, comfort, heal, encourage, protect, etc.  Thank You Jesus!  You are MORE than enough - You are my all and all.  Yet I am undeserving of such a God.  I sin...daily, including worry, harshness with others, gossip, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.