Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night.

Psalm 1, 14, 15, 36, 37, and 39

Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night. Psalm 1:1-2

Day 114 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues my focus on 112 of David's psalms which my study has not already covered or will not cover through other daily devotions as part of a broader study within their historical context. This study of these 112 psalms groups the psalms into five major topical areas, and I start a new group: "Psalms About Righteousness and Wickedness" where David cries out to the Lord regarding the apparent inequity of the wicked who seem to escape judgment and punishment while the righteous suffer.

Today's psalms focus on prayers for vitality of the righteous and vulnerability of the wicked, foolishness of disbelief and misery of evildoers, characteristics of a righteous person, depravity of the wicked and favor of the righteous, how the righteous poor have no cause to envy wicked, and over difficulty withholding outrage and a reminder of life's brevity.

I often worry - primarily over Zach and Dustin and how they will get on with life - whether they will desire to follow Jesus.  While today's psalms focus on it how it is unnecessary for believers to worry about how the wicked will escape judgement and punishment (they will not), I am reminded how I should not worry...period.  This includes worry over children and their righteousness. 

A helpful post on DesiringGod.com makes a distinction between sinful worry and anxiety versus righteous anxiety which is described as "parents godly concerns over the spiritually dangerous influences their children will face in the world".  The post encourages us to "translate our fear-fueled concerns into prayer requests, weaving them with thanksgiving for graces we’ve received from God and all the promises he’s made to us (2 Peter 1:4), and give them over to God".

I am reminded of Moses words to the Israelites as they saw impending doom when trapped between the mountains on one side and the Red Sea on the other with the Egyptian army bearing down on them: 

"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.” Exodus 14:14

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and I know You fight for me...and for Zach and Dustin.  I am not worthy for how You protect me and fight for me...and for my kids.  Please forgive my worldly worry.  Help me overcome such sin and turn towards You and to be still.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa an myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.