Wednesday, May 27, 2020

I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.


I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:11

Day 121 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues my focus on 112 of David's psalms which my study has not already covered or will not cover through other daily devotions as part of a broader study within their historical context. This study of these 112 psalms groups the psalms into five major topical areas, and I continue today with the group: "Psalms of Joy and Praise".

Today's psalm focuses on praise for the insight and guidance of God's laws - it:
- describes how God's word protects us from harm, including any sin that might cause us harm
- acknowledges how important it is to be obedient
- reinforces how scripture reading, study, and in particular memorization, keeps us from sinning (see also John Piper on this)
- describes how believers should seek God's word as we would food and water to sustain our lives (see v103, 131)
...and more!

I am drawn to how Jesus used scripture in the wilderness to prevent temptation by Satan - through scripture hidden in his heart.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me, sustains me, protects, encourages me, saves me, and so much more...my words are insufficient to describe Your greatness.  I am not deserving of how You adopt me into Your family and how You provide for me.  I am harsh with others, and I worry, among my many sins committed daily!  I am grateful for Your compassion and mercy but I need You to extend this daily!  Please forgive me for my sin and help me turn from my sin towards You and help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.