Thursday, May 28, 2020

You stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes; with your right hand you save me.

Psalm 122, 124, 133, 134, 135, 136, and 138 

You stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes; with your right hand you save me. Psalm 138:7

Day 122 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues my focus on 112 of David's psalms which my study has not already covered or will not cover through other daily devotions as part of a broader study within their historical context. This study of these 112 psalms groups the psalms into five major topical areas, and I continue today with the group: "Psalms of Joy and Praise".

Today's psalms focus on praise for Jerusalem, and the house of the Lord, for escape from enemies, for the joy of brothers living harmoniously, a call for temple servants to praise God, for the many things for which temple servants can give praise, a special poem of thanksgiving for all things, and praise for a faithful God.  A few days ago I posted on praise, and how it is a critical aspect of our relationship with God.  This morning my focus is on how we must recognize the daily battle we face against Satan and sin, and how God is our only weapon against this battle.

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Ephesians 6:10-17

We must no doubt praise God for how he has protected us, continues to protect us, but most importantly we must put on the "armor of God" daily so that He can protect us.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me, who has protected me and continues to protect me.  You also arm me with Your armor, the belt of truth, breastplate of righteousness, shield of faith, helmet and salvation, sword of the Spirit, and word of God - I am not deserving of how You love and protect me.  I sin...daily.  I am grateful for Your love, compassion, mercy, and protection but I need it daily!  Please forgive me for me sin and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me arm myself with what You provide to protect myself in this daily battle with sin and satan.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.