Wednesday, May 6, 2020

And King David longed to go to Absalom, for he was consoled concerning Amnon’s death.


And King David longed to go to Absalom, for he was consoled concerning Amnon’s death. 2 Samuel 13:39

Day 100 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on the birth of Solomon, the rape of Tamar (daughter of David) by Amnon (son of David), and Absalom's (son of David) revenge killing of Amnon.

Much like David longs for Absalom in spite of his sin, God longs for us despite our sin.

There are very important distinctions we must recognize regarding how God BOTH loves and hates us as sinners.  John Piper provides great clarity on these distinctions. Piper's starting point is that God hates sinners (referencing Psalm 5:4-5 and 11:5).  Piper writes, "[s]o, it is just not true to give the impression that God doesn’t hate sinners by saying he loves the sinner and hates the sin. He does hate sinners. His wrath is real. It is not something he pours out on people he approves of".  He then goes on to write how God ALSO loves sinners, referencing John 3:16.  Piper writes: ... "[this] matters [because] [i]f we don’t understand that God finds us hateful and loathsome in our ugly sin, we won’t be as stunned by what his love is for us".

God's love for us should in Piper's words "stun" us - and it does!

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me, even while I continue to sin and even though I am still a sinner - thank You Jesus!  I know You hate both sin and sinners (like me) but You also love me and sent Your Son Jesus to save me - thank You Jesus!  The greatest gift of all time!  I am not deserving of such a gift.  I love You but I am not deserving.  I continue to sin...to complain/grumble and to be harsh with others.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.