Friday, May 22, 2020

It is you alone who are to be feared. Who can stand before you when you are angry? From heaven you pronounced judgment, and the land feared and was quiet—when you, God, rose up to judge, to save all the afflicted of the land. Surely your wrath against mankind brings you praise, and the survivors of your wrath are restrained.

Psalm 76, 82, 84, 90, 92, 112, and 115 

It is you alone who are to be feared. Who can stand before you when you are angry? From heaven you pronounced judgment, and the land feared and was quiet—when you, God, rose up to judge, to save all the afflicted of the land. Surely your wrath against mankind brings you praise, and the survivors of your wrath are restrained. Psalm 76:7-10

Day 116 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues my focus on 112 of David's psalms which my study has not already covered or will not cover through other daily devotions as part of a broader study within their historical context. This study of these 112 psalms groups the psalms into five major topical areas, and I start a new group: "Psalms About Righteousness and Wickedness" where David cries out to the Lord regarding the apparent inequity of the wicked who seem to escape judgment and punishment while the righteous suffer.

Today's psalms focus on how God's wrath against evil is to be feared, a warning to those wicked who claim to be gods yet will nevertheless die, the superiority of the house of God over dwellings of the wicked, the importance of remembering life's brevity, how only the righteous will truly flourish, how benefits accrue to a righteous person, and how idolaters have no source of trust as do believers.

Fear of the Lord strikes me this morning as the key theme of today's psalms.  I have previously posted John Piper's view on how fear of the Lord should serve as a preservative in my battle with temptation and sin - essentially that fear over God's wrath and anger over my sin should stop me in my tracks over sin. While this may be a sobering thought to many we should view it as a measure of God's love as well - God only disciplines those He loves.

My son, do not despise the Lord’s discipline, and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in. Proverbs 3:11-12

In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses you as a father addresses his son? It says, “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.” Hebrews 12:4-6

My Prayer: Lord You are an awesome God who I KNOW loves me.  I know You despise sin and sin separates me from You, and their are eternal consequences to sin.  I am undeserving of Your forgiveness, grace, compassion, and most importantly for Your gift of salvation.  My sin of gossip, worry, etc. continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.