Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits—who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.

Psalm 103, 104, 113, 114, and 117 

Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits—who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. Psalm 103:2-5

Day 120 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues my focus on 112 of David's psalms which my study has not already covered or will not cover through other daily devotions as part of a broader study within their historical context. This study of these 112 psalms groups the psalms into five major topical areas, and I continue today with the group: "Psalms of Joy and Praise".

Today's psalms focus on praise for a compassionate God, praise for the wonders of God's creation, praise for a Lord of Heaven who is sensitive, how God's wonders ought to bring trembling, and praise for God's love and faithfulness.

Of the many attributes we must recognize about God, merciful and compassionate are key as we have a God who sees all of our sin, yet is willing to die for us, inviting us into His family and offering us salvation.

The word compassion appears 82 times in scripture, and merciful another 18 times.   That God is "slow to anger and abounding in grace" appears 7 times, including Psalm 103:8.  There are of course other ways to describe how God is compassionate and merciful so the prevalence of these attributes is even greater throughout scripture - point being that it must be important that we know that God is compassionate and merciful.  And of course we must demonstrate these attributes to others just as God does for us.

My Prayer: Heavenly Father - You are indeed slow to anger, abounding in love, full of compassion and mercy for me - it is nothing short of astonishing how and why You do this...for me.  I am not deserving of such love, compassion, mercy and grace.  I am often quick to anger, quick to speak, and harsh with others.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.