Sunday, March 28, 2021

And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

 Chapter 13: Pages 166-179

And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. 2 Corinthians 3:18

This morning, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) and started Part 2 "The Ultimate Goal of Providence", moving to Section 3 "The Ultimate Goal of Providence in the Design and Enactment of the New Covenant" - moving to chapter thirteen "The Entrance of Sin into Creation and the Glory of the Gospel".

Piper starts with a discussion of how God planned "the suffering and his Son before creation", and how this demonstrates how God plans to permit sin. This traces all the way back to the Fall. Piper provides Ephesians 1:11 and Genesis 20:6 as examples of how God plans to permit sin or not. Another glaring example is from Genesis 50:20 where Joseph confronts his brothers and is overcome with joy instead of feelings of revenge as he states that "God meant [their sin] for good" implying that "God has another intention in the act of [sin]." Piper states, "God's purpose in permitting sin was to give his people the pleasure of seeing and savoring the glory of his grace in the inexpressible suffering and triumphs of his Son." Piper then points out how consequently, we must see how "it was not only justice, but also mercy, that moved God to appoint suffering as the consequence of sin."  Hence, if we are to have grace, we must also have judgement and suffering. 

Piper uses 2 Corinthians 4:4 to highlight the "greatest good of the good news is the glory of Christ...in becoming the all sufficient foundation for the forgiveness of sins-the most worthy person suffering the worst sufferings for the least deserving".  We should then see "two more wonders" in (1) people who enjoy treasuring the glory of Christ (Matthew 10:37), and (2) enjoy being transformed into Christ's glorious image (2 Corinthians 3:18)."

Finally, Piper wraps up the chapter by summarizing how the "providence of God in sending his Son a suffering substitute for sinners accomplishes everything necessary to bring his people into his presence with everlasting, soul-satisfying praise of the glory of his grace."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God who is full of knowledge, wisdom, power, and mercy and You chose me and adopted me in Your family - completely out of grace!  Thank You Jesus!  I know I am undeserving.  I have much sin in my life.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.