Sunday, March 7, 2021

But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.

Luke 9, 22, Matthew 26, and John 21

But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This morning, I continue with the story of "Peter: Gospel of the Second Chance*".

*Title of lesson nine from the Max Lucado study.

Max Lucado's commentary* for day three of Peter's story focuses on the Transfiguration and then on Peter's actions when Jesus appeared to the disciples for the third time after His resurrection. At the Transfiguration, Lucado points out Peter's impulsiveness when he offers three shelters to Jesus, Moses and Elijah (Luke 9:33); the text includes how "[Peter] did not know what he was saying" and Lucado indicates that Peter's impulsiveness stems from how we are not to equate any others with God...dangerous indeed.  We are then encouraged to try and better understand the role of the Transfiguration.  We know that in Matthew 16:18 Jesus tells Peter that He will build His church upon Peters efforts and those of the other apostles (see also Ephesians 2:20).  This post on DesiringGod.com describes how the Transfiguration was a foretaste of both the resurrection and how all believers will "be like Him for we shall see Him as He is" (1 John 3:2).  Jesus is equipping Peter.

With Peter's actions after the resurrection (John 21), Lucado points out how believers in general are prone to fall back into their "old selves" and patterns of behavior.  Peter goes fishing, even though he previously left this life to follow Jesus (see Luke 5:11).  Lucado wants us to see how God is full of grace and He restores us when we fall - He restored Peter and He does for us.  We are encouraged to get back in the game when we stumble.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who restores me time and time again when I stumble and fall.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You are so full of grace and compassion.  My sin continues - including worry and other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.