Monday, March 22, 2021

For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.”

Chapter 7: Pages 96-105, and Romans 9

For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” Exodus 9:16, Romans 9:17

This morning, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) and started Part 2 "The Ultimate Goal of Providence", starting with Section 2 "The Ultimate Goal of Providence in the History of Israel" - moving to chapter seven "Remembering the Exodus".  Piper kicks off this chapter by recognizing that "in God's providence, the exodus kicks unleashes centuries of joyful, worshiping responses in the history of Israel that reach all the way through the Old Testament and into the New-even into eternity." David does so in 1 Chronicles 17:16 and Psalm 105:42-43. Piper refers to the Psalm 106 as well as this psalm refers to the exodus as not just a wonder of power but also of grace. Piper then states that "our joy and God's glory are not separable goals of God's providence.  They are woven into one goal." In essence, God's people get the salvation (undeservedly) and God gets the reputation.

Piper continues with the witness of the major prophets - citing Isaiah 63:11-14. Jeremiah also lays claim with witness in Jeremiah 32:20-22. According to Piper, we consistently see throughout scripture God's aim "that his people see [God's] glory and worship with gladness."  Moving on, Piper provides another example in Nehemiah 9:9-11, 1000 years after the exodus. As God makes a name for Himself, Piper points out that He does so with power, wisdom, justice, and mercy. 

As God's dispenses this mercy, as He does with the exodus, He does so by God's self-determining will alone - and not by works (Romans 9:16). In Romans 9, Piper writes, Paul makes it clear that Pharaoh is "raised up as the adversary of Israel" to show His power, justice (for Egypt), and mercy (for Israel). Piper's key point is that Paul's "ultimate argument [in Romans 9] for why it is right for God to act in freedom - having mercy on whomever he wills, and hardening whomever he wills is that the ultimate purpose of showing wrath and power is "in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy."

All of this is to say that, summarizing Piper, is that "we would be justified in saying that the ultimate purpose of God in the exodus is that he be glorified".

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of justice and mercy for me - thank You Jesus.  Both are blessings and I am undeserving of such blessings - I know it is by Your free will alone that I experience such blessings. My sin, too many to mention, continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.