Wednesday, March 24, 2021

“Do not be afraid,” Samuel replied. “You have done all this evil; yet do not turn away from the Lord, but serve the Lord with all your heart. Do not turn away after useless idols. They can do you no good, nor can they rescue you, because they are useless. For the sake of his great name the Lord will not reject his people, because the Lord was pleased to make you his own.

Chapter 9: Pages 121-132, Judges 6-7, and 1 Samuel 12

“Do not be afraid,” Samuel replied. “You have done all this evil; yet do not turn away from the Lord, but serve the Lord with all your heart. Do not turn away after useless idols. They can do you no good, nor can they rescue you, because they are useless. For the sake of his great name the Lord will not reject his people, because the Lord was pleased to make you his own. 1 Samuel 12:20-22

This morning, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) and started Part 2 "The Ultimate Goal of Providence", starting with Section 2 "The Ultimate Goal of Providence in the History of Israel" - moving to chapter eight "The Time of the Judges and Days of Monarchy". Here Piper indicates that during the period of Judges when Israel had no king (end of Joshua's generation), we see "the unstoppable power of sin....Israel spiral[s] down into anarchy during [this] time...and [e]veryone did what was right in his own eyes (Judges 17:6, 21:25)." Piper uses Judges 2:16-19 as a key scriptural example of the spiral.

Yet Piper does use one example from this period to show God's "patience and mercy" - Gideon. In Judges 7:2-3, God makes it clear that it is Him who deserves the glory of any victory over the Midianites. Piper points to pride and arrogance and the need for self-exaltation (vs that of God exaltation) as a key issue for Israel at the time. Piper than points out how God's "ultimate goal in the period of the judges...[was] to point Israel beyond their anarchy and pride to the hope of humble, happy worship under the omnipotent, redeeming hand of God." 

Piper then moves beyond the period of the judges to the period of monarchy starting under Saul, David, and then subsequent kings, to describe how God's plan all along was that Israel be led by a king first of course an earthly one, then via the Messiah as the "final and eternal king-the King of kings (1 Timothy 6:15, Revelation 17:14, 19:16)." Piper describes the strangeness here as "the actual movement to install the first king was an act of rebellion against God, even though God had already prophesied that Israel would have a king....and further describes this strangeness by adding that God had even "warned that having a king would be trouble for Israel."  He uses multiple scriptural examples to illustrate the "God-ordained roots of the reign of man" by looking at Deuteronomy 17:14-20 and 1 Samuel 2:10. 1 Samuel 8:11-18 is used as an example to show how not all of the kings are going to be "as circumspect as Deuteronomy required." Piper uses Samuel's farewell speech in 1 Samuel 12 to continue reverence and love of the Lord in spite of an earthly king because if Israel does not turn away from the Lord, He "will not forsake his people, for his great name's sake."

This kingship "through sin" is then discussed by Piper to "show God's grace....and how every blessing that comes from this kingship is undeserved...is grace."  Piper then describes three great blessings that come from this kingship, including (1) David and the Psalms - and the overarching them of the Psalms is God's praise, (2) Solomon's building of the temple - and the temple exists for God's name - see 2 Chronicles 6, (3) the final kingship of Jesus the Messiah. Piper's description makes it clear that there is no disconnect between the reign of man and the reign of Christ - it is all part of God's plan and providence. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who is so full of grace for me - time and time again, I sin, yet You forgive me, restore me, and even bless me.  I am so undeserving!  My sin continues...as it did with Israel, it does for me.  Worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.