Thursday, March 4, 2021

Meanwhile a large crowd of Jews found out that Jesus was there and came, not only because of him but also to see Lazarus, whom he had raised from the dead. So the chief priests made plans to kill Lazarus as well, for on account of him many of the Jews were going over to Jesus and believing in him.

John 12 and Luke 10

Meanwhile a large crowd of Jews found out that Jesus was there and came, not only because of him but also to see Lazarus, whom he had raised from the dead. So the chief priests made plans to kill Lazarus as well, for on account of him many of the Jews were going over to Jesus and believing in him. John 12:9-11

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This morning, I finish the story of "Lazarus: The Final Witness*".

*Title of lesson eight from the Max Lucado study.

The commentary* of day five starts with Max Lucado describing a party for Lazarus now that he has been raised.  Lucado quickly moves on to describe the roles Martha and Mary play in contrast to the role Lazarus plays. Martha serves tirelessly and selflessly (although at least once she grumbled and complained that her sister did not help).  Mary sits at Jesus' feet, pours out expensive perfume on Jesus and worships Him.  Lazarus, of course had his testimony - and what a powerful testimony it was.  John shares that the Jews and chief priests not only sought to kill Jesus but Lazarus also because of the power of his testimony.  Lucado wants us to appreciate how all of us have different roles to play and all of us a have a testimony - a story to tell about how we came to believe in Him and what He has done for us. We are encouraged to serve based on our gifting and to share our story.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God and You have done SO MUCH in my heart and life - thank You for the work You have done in and through me.  I am blessed!  Yet I am undeserving - worry and other sins persist in my life.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.