Sunday, March 21, 2021

But I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.

Chapter 6: Pages 83-95, and Exodus 3-11

But I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth. Exodus 9:16

This morning, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) and started Part 2 "The Ultimate Goal of Providence", starting with Section 2 "The Ultimate Goal of Providence in the History of Israel" - moving to chapter six "The Exodus Unfolds".  Piper writes that "Scripture expresses God's ultimate goal in the events of the exodus more clearly and more frequently than in any other event in Israel's history".  Piper's focus for this chapter is "the expressions of God's goal in the exodus embedded in the very story of the exodus itself." During the story of Exodus we see God "reveal his unique name, Yahweh, which sets him off from all other gods....and it occurs in the Old Testament over 6,800 times in reference to Israel's God....Yahweh exists in part because the name itself expresses Gods goal for all God's action in the history of Israel, and, as we will see, all his action in the history of the world".

We first see Yahweh or Lord, as a name in Exodus 3 where God is talking to Moses in the burning bush. Piper shares how three aspects of how (1) Yahweh or Lord is first, foundational, and of infinite importance, (2) he provides a bridge between His being and His name, and (3) Yahweh or the Lord as a name has meaning and implies a message - how He intends to be known.  Piper then expands further to provide ten dimensions of its meaning:

  1. No beginning
  2. Never end
  3. Absolute reality
  4. Utterly independent
  5. Everything that is not God depends totally on God
  6. All that we see as compared to God is nothing
  7. God is constant
  8. Absolute standard of truth
  9. Always right and beautiful
  10. Most important and most valuable in the universe

Piper moves on the build on these descriptions of God's identity to show how His purpose in "multiplying His wonders in Egypt at the exodus was to make known his name and his power...so that he would be glorified." And this glorification extends "in all the earth" (Exodus 9:16) such that his own reputation was "enlarged".  We then see how we worship "joyfully" as an output of our praise of God's glory. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are certainly worthy of my praise and worship and glory of all the earth not just because of Exodus but for many, infinite reasons and my words I know are empty filthy rags.  Yet they are all I have, in addition to my life which You seek as a living sacrifice.  You are worthy and I know You love me.  I am undeserving.  My sin continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give LIsa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.