Saturday, March 20, 2021

I will rejoice over Jerusalem and take delight in my people; the sound of weeping and of crying will be heard in it no more....The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.

Chapter 5: Pages 69-82

I will rejoice over Jerusalem and take delight in my people; the sound of weeping and of crying will be heard in it no more....The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing. Isaiah 65:19, Zephaniah 3:17

This morning, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) and started Part 2 "The Ultimate Goal of Providence", starting with Section 2 "The Ultimate Goal of Providence in the History of Israel" - moving to chapter five "Overview". Here Piper does not focus on any specific period of Israel's history, but instead focuses broadly on all of Israel's history to determine the "ultimate goal" in Israel's history of God's providence. He writes that God's plan "to make the history of Israel serve all the nations of the world through the coming of the Messiah" is not two stories of one followed by the other - it is a single plan and story.

Piper then goes on to illustrate how God was Israel's decisive actor in Israel's history and even those rulers (i.e. Pilate, etc.) who did not know the plan and prophecies of the Messiah played a role in fulfilling them.  Piper writes how we are then warranted to ask what the ultimate purpose of Israel's history is in God's providence, but we should be quick to see how God's overarching purpose in Israel's history is that He is glorified - Piper points to Isaiah 49:3, 43:21, Jeremiah 13:11, 1 Peter 2:9 to make his point. 

Piper ends the chapter with Isaiah 65:19 and Zephaniah 3:17, using this scripture to show how God's ultimate goal is not just only "the exaltation of of [H]is glorious name in the joy of [H]is people; it is also [H]is own joy in their joy in [H]im...the joy moves in both directions: from us toward God and from God toward us."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are amazing and Your works are amazing - I marvel at how You love me and how You take joy in my joy in You.  You bless me beyond what I deserve. My sin - of many flavors - continues.  Please forgive me and help turn from and overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength. Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.