Friday, March 5, 2021

The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

Mark 16 and Luke 5

 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. Colossians 1:15-17

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This morning, I start a review of the story of "Peter: Gospel of the Second Chance*".

*Title of lesson nine from the Max Lucado study.

The commentary* of day one starts with Max Lucado setting a broader context for a study of Peter - as much as anyone Peter must have felt enormous guilt and shame for denying Jesus three times just as Jesus predicted (see also Matthew 26, Mark 14, John 18).  Yet Lucado points out how, in Mark 16, often referred to as the Gospel of Second Chances, an angel of the Lord - found in Jesus' now empty tomb - directs Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome to "...go, tell his disciples and Peter".  Peter is specifically called out and many speculate as to why, and Lucado believes that he is called out because Jesus wants Peter to have relief from the guilt and shame of his denial - He wants Peter to know that he is forgiven and restored.  Hence we have the popular name of Mark 16 as the Gospel of Second Chances.  Lucado wants us to understand Peter's story and how Peter's second chance is our second (or third, or fourth, etc.) chance.  We should not allow our lives to be defined by bad decisions or sin.  

Specifically for day one of the study, Lucado wants us to focus on the how Peter became a disciple and Lucado uses Luke's account of how Peter became a disciple.  Peter, James and John had been fishing all night on the Sea of Galilee, and cleaning their nets on the shore, when Jesus, who had been teaching nearby, then tells Peter to push out for more fishing.  Peter begrudgingly questions Jesus' request to push out to deep water for more fishing (Luke 5:5).  Of course we know the rest of the story as Peter, James and John capture a haul as big as they've ever seen.  Peter falls to his knees, acknowledges his need for Jesus and becomes a disciple (Luke 5:8-11). Lucado wants to appreciate that we may be tempted to question God's power but we should not and we are also encouraged to see God's power in all things - big and small.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, I have seen Your power first hand and I know it is great, it knows no bounds, and it is available to me - through You and the Holy Spirit.  I am grateful that I can bring all of my requests to You and how I know You are able.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You provide the Holy Spirit and so much more, including second chances!  Please forgive me for my often harsh treatment of others, particularly co-workers.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.