Monday, March 8, 2021

I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.

Luke 24 and Acts 1-2

I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high. Luke 24:49

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This morning, I continue with the story of "Peter: Gospel of the Second Chance*".

*Title of lesson nine from the Max Lucado study.

Max Lucado's commentary* for day four of my study focuses on the ten days between when Jesus' appearance after resurrection ended and Pentecost - see great timeline infographic here. During this period, the apostles are told to wait (Luke 24:49) for the Holy Spirit. Lucado discusses how this was likely a nerve-wracking time for the apostles as waiting in and of itself can be difficult but is even more difficult when danger lurks, as was probably the case because lives were in danger for followers of Jesus.  Waiting is something that God often makes us do and Lucado gives us other scriptural examples where we can draw strength:

Lucado wants us to understand that waiting does not mean inactivity - we pray and we remain both watchful (for the Lord) and obedient.

Part of today's commentary covers the coming of the Holy Spirit in Acts 2, and of course we know this is an incredible event. Lucado ends by reminding us that God blesses those whose patience and trust remain in Him.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God and You have blessed me tremendously as my trust in You has grown. Thank You Jesus!  Yet I am not deserving of such blessings.  I know there is more work for me to do and more work for You to do in me and through me - I also continue to sin - worry, etc. Please forgive me for my sins and help me overcome and turn from my sins towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my church, my family, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.