Tuesday, March 23, 2021

He did this so that all the peoples of the earth might know that the hand of the Lord is powerful and so that you might always fear the Lord your God.

Chapter 8: Pages 108-119, and Exodus 19-20

He did this so that all the peoples of the earth might know that the hand of the Lord is powerful and so that you might always fear the Lord your God. Joshua 4:24

This morning, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) and started Part 2 "The Ultimate Goal of Providence", starting with Section 2 "The Ultimate Goal of Providence in the History of Israel" - moving to chapter eight "The Law, the Wilderness, and the Conquest of Canaan". Piper starts this chapter by looking at the giving of the law or Ten Commandments at Mount Sinai, starting with the first commandment. He writes how the "aim of the first commandment was not only a call for God to be supremely exalted in Israel but for Israel to be supremely satisfied in God." Piper then looks at the tenth commandment and how it relates to the first two as he writes that "covetousness-or wrong [illegitimate] desire is desiring anything in such a way that you lose your contentment in God.  In essence, the first and last of the Ten Commandments demand the same thing" as covetousness becomes idolatry. 

Piper then moves to explain how "the goal of God's providence, now established at the center of his law, is that he be exalted as the greatest treasure in the glad affections of his people-that he be supremely glorified through our being supremely satisfied in him....[b]egrudging obedience does not make God look great."

Piper looks then to how Israel wandered in the wilderness as although they were disobedient, God did not destroy them.  He instead saved them "for the sake of [God's] name."  Piper uses three passages of scripture from Ezekiel as evidence: Ezekiel 20:8-10, 13-14, and 21-22. The use of Ezekiel is important because Piper wants us to see the "connection between God's grace...and his commitment to the glory of his name....God's self-exaltation was the ground of of Israel's undeserved exultation." Israel then conquers Canaan and Piper uses Joshua 4 to show how God once again - as He did with the parting of the Red Sea and - is powerful and mighty (Joshua 4:24).  Deuteronomy 9:4-7 is then used as another example of God's grace "for the sake of his name". Using additional examples from Joshua 22 and 23, as well as from Deuteronomy 33, Piper wraps the chapter by stating "[t]he purpose of God's providence in the conquest of Canaan was to put his power and his name on display in justice and mercy so that this people would be stunned at the freedom and glory of his grace"....and they would "cling to him as their life and serve him forever in a way that makes clear he is an all-satisfying treasure."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who is powerful, just, wise, and full of mercy - I have seen Your hand in my life and in the life of others - thank You Jesus for the many blessings You pour out.  I am not deserving of such blessings.  I sin...daily...including worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.