Tuesday, March 15, 2022

And behold, they cried out, “What have you to do with us, O Son of God? Have you come here to torment us before the time?”

Matthew 8

And behold, they cried out, “What have you to do with us, O Son of God? Have you come here to torment us before the time?” Matthew 8:29

Tonight, I pause on both of my studies in Isaiah and Revelation to listen to John Piper's daily devotion for today - Solid Joys.  Here, Piper wants us to see how God is not waiting for the end times (Revelation) to defeat Satan - instead He is fighting know to win souls for His kingdom now and believers play a role of course!  Piper describes how in Matthew, Satan's minions (demons) want to know why Jesus seeks to torment them before the appointed time (end times).  Piper writes that believers should be encouraged to take on Satan before the appointed time: "[t]he resulting wartime mentality is this: Since Satan’s doom is sure, and he knows it, we can always remind him of it when he tempts us to follow him. We can laugh and say, “You’re out of your mind. Who wants to join forces with a loser?!”  Piper wants to be certain that we are aware of who we (not just us but the church) are up against (2 Corinthians 4:4, Ephesians 2:2), and that it is not safe work but thrilling and we are on the victorious side!  Piper wraps up the post with: "[i]t is not safe. But it is thrilling. Many lives are lost. Satan’s forces are ever on the lookout for our subversive activity. Christ has guaranteed resurrection for all who fight to the death. But he has not guaranteed comfort, or acceptance from the world, or prosperity in enemy territory."  Encouraging words indeed!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God - I know You love me and You help me defeat temptation and sin...thank You Jesus! I am grateful for being on the victorious side - thank You!  Yet I am not deserving.  My sin continues - worry and anger, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.