Tuesday, March 1, 2022

But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life. And have mercy on those who doubt; save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh.

Isaiah 14

But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life.  And have mercy on those who doubt; save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh. Jude 1:20-23

I came back to my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series.  Today, I focused on Isaiah 14, where we focus on Sheol and its discussion in Isaiah and throughout scripture. In Isaiah 14, we see Sheol (or the realm of the dead) and death coming to meet the Babylonian king, as well as the other godless kings from surrounding lands (v9-10).  We also see how the power of those brought to meet Sheol is brought down or humbled to Sheol's level (v11, 15).  In Isaiah 5:14, we read about death as having an "enlarged...appetite," insatiable in its desire to tempt and entice people into a life of sin and eternal damnation (see also 1 Peter 5:8). In Isaiah 28, we see Jewish leaders in a covenant with death and Sheol - unable to see Jesus as the promised Messiah from Old Testament scripture. Additional scriptural examples from my study point to Luke 16:19-31, and other examples to show how Sheol is not only a place that is reserved for those who refuse Jesus as their Lord and Savior, but also a place of eternal torment where one can only enter but never leave. Believers should not only be thankful for eternal life, but also "snatching [others] from the fire (Jude 1:23)."  Believers are also called to persevere in this life, to endure through suffering, etc. as the joy of this life is simply a foretaste of our true home in Heaven where we experience perfect unity and harmony with God.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are indeed a great God who promises both life to the full now and for eternity - thank You Jesus for Your salvation.  I am grateful...but of course undeserving.  My sins continue...many, including anger, impatience, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sins towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.