Friday, March 25, 2022

The rest of mankind, who were not killed by these plagues, did not repent of the works of their hands nor give up worshiping demons and idols of gold and silver and bronze and stone and wood, which cannot see or hear or walk, nor did they repent of their murders or their sorceries or their sexual immorality or their thefts.

Revelation 8:2-11:19

The rest of mankind, who were not killed by these plagues, did not repent of the works of their hands nor give up worshiping demons and idols of gold and silver and bronze and stone and wood, which cannot see or hear or walk, nor did they repent of their murders or their sorceries or their sexual immorality or their thefts. Revelation 6:20-21

I resumed my D-Group's study of Revelation using Stephen Witmer's commentary and study guide.  While this week, the study looks at Revelation 8:2-11:19, for today my focus is the prayers of the saints (8:2-5), the role of the seven trumpets throughout these chapters, and how God is full of grace and how this is often not viewed as a opportunity to repent and be saved.  This latter focus is where my key takeaway is today.  

Then the sixth angel blew his trumpet, and I heard a voice from the four horns of the golden altar before God, saying to the sixth angel who had the trumpet, “Release the four angels who are bound at the great river Euphrates.” So the four angels, who had been prepared for the hour, the day, the month, and the year, were released to kill a third of mankind. The number of mounted troops was twice ten thousand times ten thousand; I heard their number. And this is how I saw the horses in my vision and those who rode them: they wore breastplates the color of fire and of sapphire and of sulfur, and the heads of the horses were like lions' heads, and fire and smoke and sulfur came out of their mouths. By these three plagues a third of mankind was killed, by the fire and smoke and sulfur coming out of their mouths. For the power of the horses is in their mouths and in their tails, for their tails are like serpents with heads, and by means of them they wound.

The rest of mankind, who were not killed by these plagues, did not repent of the works of their hands nor give up worshiping demons and idols of gold and silver and bronze and stone and wood, which cannot see or hear or walk, nor did they repent of their murders or their sorceries or their sexual immorality or their thefts. Revelation 6:13-21

While a third of mankind is struck down, it is utterly stunning that the rest of mankind - two-thirds of mankind - did not repent and turn to God.  They certainly had an opportunity because the text is written in such a way that repentance is offered but not taken.  Unfortunately, this is the case with many non-believers, they experience tremendous grace in their lives, yet they fail to see the hand of God with this grace.  You see we don't get what we deserve (death - see Romans 6:23) but we do get what we don't deserve (grace - 1 Corinthians 15:10).

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You grace is amazing indeed - and it is imprinted throughout my life....every day.  Thank You Jesus!  I am clearly not deserving of such grace...my sin is great and it is daily.  Worry, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You and help me love You with all of my heart soul and mind.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose YOU as their Lord and Savior. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.