Wednesday, March 2, 2022

“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God."

Matthew 5

“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." Matthew 5:8

This morning, I focus on John Piper's Solid Joys devotional, where Piper seeks for us to defeat the temptation of sin by focusing not on the gain from sin (from the Great Deceiver), but on a better promise from the Word of God - referencing Ephesians 6:17 where the "sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, is used as a weapon to kill sin.  Piper writes: "[s]o, when the body is about to be led into a sinful action by some fear or craving, we are to take the sword of the Spirit and kill that fear and that craving. In my experience, that means mainly severing the root of sin’s promise by the power of a superior promise."  Piper then goes on to provide several general examples of God's promises and we are encouraged to satiate ourselves with the Word to draw upon the many of God's promises and how God is faithful in keeping every single one of these promises.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are great and Your promises are great - greater than what anything Satan can attempt to offer and lure us into sin.  Your Word is great and it is powerful!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of my salvation, Your Word or the Holy Spirit - all of which You freely provide out of Your amazing grace.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving. My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.