Thursday, March 10, 2022

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Isaiah 13-14

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2

I continue with my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series. Today, on Lesson 6, Day 5 (self-study of commentary day), the focus looks back on Lesson 6 (Isaiah 13-14), and it once again remains on the role and fate of Babylon, not just during Isaiah's time, but also during end times as portrayed in the book of Revelation. A brief review of the rise and fall of Babylon indicates that "[a]lthough the fall of Babylon marked the end of political rule of Babylonian rulers, much of the Babylonian culture, its pagan religions, and its ideology were continued in the kingdoms which followed."  Building on my post yesterday, most would agree that Babylon represents Satan and sin in a fallen world, so we see Babylon also playing a role in end times where Babylon is referred to in Revelation and Christ defeats Satan for eternity.  Clearly, whether it is during ancient times or current times, Babylon represents the pervasiveness of sin and a challenge for believers: how can we remain faithful when the world around us is so deeply sinful - it can be discouraging for sure! This post from DesiringGod.com helps I believe by framing the question around how and where do I draw the line when I get pushed to exalt man or the world above God?  

Key of course is daily study and prayer with God where we allow the sanctification process to work - we are transformed by "renewal of the mind."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God and I am grateful for how You give me victory of sin and death as sin is pervasive and I know the sanctification process works in my life - thank You Jesus!  Yet I know there is more work in me to do - please keep going and help me submit!  I am not deserving that You made me one of Your elect, justified me, etc.  My sin continues...anger, worry, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.