Monday, February 28, 2022

Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies.

Romans 8

Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Romans 8:33

Today I pause in my study of Isaiah to look at John Pipers Solid Joys (www.desiringgod.com > Features > Solid Joys), where the post for today unpacks the implications of God's justification of us.  In the Exalting Jesus in Romans commentary, Tony Merida states that in Romans 8:31-39 Paul's focus is for us to celebrate the security of God's love for us.  When we are saved, it is God who does the saving (Ephesians 2:8) as He welcomes us into His family as one His elect. In Romans 8:33, Piper, in his devotion, encourages us to see that first, it is GOD who has elected us - not any earthly power and not any divine power but the God of the Universe and the King of Kings!  There is no higher power!  Piper then wants us to see that such a declaration of our election and of how God sees us as justified in His eyes, then no one can take this away or overturn such a decision that God has made.  We are justified in God's eyes - end of story.  Piper writes: "[i]f God is the one who acquits you — declares you righteous in his sight — no one can appeal; no one can claim a technicality; no one can call for a mistrial; no one can look for other counts against you. God’s sentence is final and total."  The implication (and application) Piper wants us to see is "unshakable security" in the face of suffering or whatever the world throws at us.  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You have made me one of Your family, one of Your elect and I am justified in Your eyes and with this I gain great peace, security, confidence, etc. - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings - my sin of worry, anger, etc. continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.