Monday, February 14, 2022

In the time of his distress he became yet more faithless to the Lord—this same King Ahaz. For he sacrificed to the gods of Damascus that had defeated him and said, “Because the gods of the kings of Syria helped them, I will sacrifice to them that they may help me.” But they were the ruin of him and of all Israel.

Isaiah 7

 In the time of his distress he became yet more faithless to the Lord—this same King Ahaz. For he sacrificed to the gods of Damascus that had defeated him and said, “Because the gods of the kings of Syria helped them, I will sacrifice to them that they may help me.” But they were the ruin of him and of all Israel. 2 Chronicles 28:22-23

I continue my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series.  Today, I continue with Isaiah 7, looking again at Ahaz's response to God's call for him to be firm in his faith (Isaiah 7:9). For additional details on Ahaz, we are referred to 2 Chronicles 28. Ahaz saw that his efforts with the king of Assyria did not help, nor did Ahaz's turn towards foreign gods help either - but he doubled down nonetheless. In Isaiah 7 we see that God's anger burned not just for Ahaz and the people that followed him, but also for the land as it was devastated with "briers and thorns" (v23, 25). Our study asks us to closely examine where we have allowed "foreign gods" to rise in prominence in our lives.  Worthy question indeed.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who reigns over everything - my life and every where under the universe.  You give me life, provide, and protect me, and You never leave or forsake me.  Thank You Jesus!  Yet my sin is great and it persists daily - I allow idols and foreign gods to distract me from worshiping You.  Please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.