Tuesday, February 15, 2022

By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.

1 John 3

By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers. 1 John 3:16

I am taking a short pause on my study of Isaiah to listen to John Piper's devotional for today that focuses on Jesus' intentional steps to Calvary - as He loved us with each step (and still does). Jesus could have stopped His death on the cross at any moment (as Piper references in Matthew 26:52-54), but He knew that His Father sent Him to fulfill scripture and part of the plan was for Him to die on the cross...and for Him to rise from the dead three days later. Jesus' obedience was not just an act of love for the Father but also an act of love for each one of us who can experience freedom the sting of sin and death. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Jesus, I know You love me because You died for me...You also never leave or forsake me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of Your love.  My sin is great and it is daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.