Thursday, July 6, 2023

As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace[.]

1 Peter 4

As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace[.] 1 Peter 4:10

I continue my study looking at the life of Paul using John Piper's 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul.  Today, I move to chapter eleven - Rigorous in Reasoning, Transparent in Feeling.  Here, John Pipers shares his love for Paul based on Paul's combination of strengths to both reason (and articulate his reason both in written and spoken mediums), and to be in firm grasp of his own emotions which he is able to harness to empathize with others and win their hearts. Piper first starts by describing how others viewed Paul's intellect, first by pointing to Roman Governor Festus (Acts 26:24), then to Peter (2 Peter 3:16). Piper then shares scripture where Paul encourages all believers to think for themselves (1 Corinthians 10:15, 14:20, 2 Timothy 2:7).  He continues by moving to Paul's emotional maturity, describing both his own emotions and challenges as well as his profound sense of care for others (1 Thessalonians 2:7-8, Philippians 1:8, 4:1, Philemon 1:12, 2 Corinthians 6:11-13).  While this is a rare combination of strengths for anyone to possess, we are encouraged to develop these capabilities as God gives them to us, and use them in His service.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God and You have blessed me through others - through Paul's writings, and the love and care of others working in Your service.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love, care, and blessing.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.