Monday, July 10, 2023

[Paul prays that believers] may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

Ephesians 3

     [Paul prays that believers] may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Ephesians 3:18-19

I continue my study looking at the life of Paul using John Piper's 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul.  Today, I move to chapter fifteen - More Awed by the Glory Revealed than the Glory Concealed.  Here, John Piper encourages us to see how Paul, even though he acknowledges how God's ways are often mysterious, push us to greater maturity in Christ so that God can reveal more of His glory in our journey with Christ.  Piper writes: "[Paul] would say that God is most glorified when we are stunned and admiring and worshipful and joyfully submitted to him because of what we do know about him, not because of what we don’t know about him*."  Piper points to Romans 11:33-36 as very often misunderstood and misused to emphasize the mystery of God whereas Piper shares how it emphasizes not what is NOT revealed but instead on what IS revealed, pointing to the text and how it describes the previous eleven chapters of Romans.  Piper then points out how the previous three verses (Romans 11:30-32) reveal the glory of God's plans for both Jews and Gentiles and exhorts to be amazed at what God reveals. He wraps the chapter by pointing to Ephesians 3, first 3:8-9, then 3:18-19, where Paul exhorts us to follow him to search for God's glory and He will reveal Himself to us. We are encouraged to join Paul on the path as he leads us to tread the heights seeking God's glory.

*John Piper. 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God whose love and ways are certainly incredible and often mysterious but often revealed to us when we search for them.  Thank You for speaking to us directly and through Your Word and others such as leaders in our church.  I am not deserving of the blessing of how You speak and reveal Yourself to me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.