Monday, July 24, 2023

[T]hey asked us to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do.

Galatians 2

[T]hey asked us to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do. Galatians 2:10

I continue my study looking at the life of Paul using John Piper's 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul.  Today, I move to chapter twenty-nine - The Pursuit of Pure Doctrine and Passion for the Poor.  Here, John Piper loves and admires Paul for how he combined his ability to help others mature in their faith through sound understanding of doctrine with "care [of] the poor of his churches [and material help for those in need]. Both were prominent.*" Piper starts by referring us to scripture and how it commands us to help those in need - and do not oppress the poor: Amos 4:1-2, James 5:4-6, Deuteronomy 24:14, Proverbs 14:31, Matthew 25:34-36, 40, 2 Corinthians 8-9, Galatians 2:9-10, and Romans 15:26.  Through these scripture examples Piper shares how Paul made "caring for the poor a significant priority*" and that he also knew "that people die a worse death from winds of false doctrine than from the pain of poverty. Physical starvation never damned anybody. But spiritual starvation has brought millions to the grave without hope. Paul would say as strongly as anyone that Christians seek to rescue people from all suffering, especially eternal suffering.* ([references to Ephesians 4:28 and 2 Thessalonians 1:9]).

*John Piper. 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me in my time of need - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of who You care for me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.