Sunday, July 16, 2023

[W]e will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows, and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.

Ephesians 4

[W]e will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is Christ.  From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows, and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.  Ephesians 4:15-16

I continue my study looking at the life of Paul using John Piper's 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul.  Today, I move to chapter twenty-one - Christ Was All-Sufficient, and Community Was Crucial.  Here, John Piper describes and admires Paul for how he – despite his position in the church – simultaneously poured himself out for others and sought and depended on the community of other believers for refreshment, encouragement, and strength.  The chapter starts with Piper explaining once again how Paul did not lord his authority over others, but instead served them and built them up – as scripture commands. Piper notes the extent to which Paul did this and felt often drained by such service, pointing to: Philippians 2:17, 2 Corinthians 12:15, 10:8, 13:10, Colossians 1:24, 1Thessalonians 2:8, and 2 Timothy 2:10.  Piper also shares how Philippians 4:13 points to Paul’s dependence on Christ for his needs and strength.  Yet this dependence on Christ is not described as rugged independence from others – Piper points to 1 Corinthians 12:18-22 and Ephesians 4:15-16 for descriptions of members of the church as mutually interdependent.   Piper then moves to provide scriptural examples of Paul’s dependence on others – pointing to Romans 1:11-12, 15:24, 1Thessalonians 2:17-20, 2 Corinthians 2:2, and 2 Timothy 1:4.  Piper wraps the chapter by describing Paul and his service to and dependence on others:  he didn’t “consider himself above the ordinary means of grace that all Christians need, including the fellowship of other believers.  Paul bears his authority and power and reputation without pretense, and freely admits his need for the refreshment of Christ that comes through other believers.*”

*John Piper. 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are SO good in how You came to serve and supply us with our needs to that we can serve others.  You also provide others so that we can serve each other.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You bless. My sin is great and it continues…daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from such sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.