Monday, July 31, 2023

[T]hey have no root in themselves, but endure for a while; then, when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately they fall away.

Mark 4

[T]hey have no root in themselves, but endure for a while; then, when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately they fall away. Mark 4:17

As I continue to be in between studies, having wrapped up my study looking at the life of Paul using John Piper's 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul, I lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which today looks at suffering that crushes faith.  Building on yesterday's post, and similar to my church's sermon from last week, Piper seeks for us to ultimately endure suffering "with firm faith in future grace."  Piper highlights the parable of the four soils where Piper refers to the text where "[s]ome people who hear the word receive it at first with gladness, but then suffering makes them fall away."  He then share how suffering "does not always make faith stronger. Sometimes it crushes faith."  Piper share from Mark 4:25 where Jesus effectively warns us against a weak faith that is crushed by suffering.  We are called to endure such that as Piper writes "our faith might grow stronger and not be proved vain" as written in 1 Corinthians 15:2. Piper then shares as he wraps the devotion that "[k]nowing God’s design in suffering is one of the main means of growing through suffering.  If you think your suffering is pointless, or that God is not in control, or that he is whimsical or cruel, then your suffering will drive you from God, instead of driving you from everything but God — as it should. So, it is crucial that faith in God’s grace includes the faith that he gives grace through suffering."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves us and who is in control of all details of our lives...even when things go bad we know You still love us, will never leave or forsake us, and are saving a place in Heaven for us!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouse to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.