Tuesday, August 1, 2023

“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”

2 Corinthians 12

“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Corinthians 12:9

As I continue to be in between studies, having wrapped up my study looking at the life of Paul using John Piper's 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul, I lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which today builds on posts from the previous two days focusing on suffering - and today the devotional looks specifically at how our weakness reveals God's worth.  Piper start by sharing what for many, including Christians, might be a sobering thought: "God’s design for suffering is that it should magnify Christ’s worth and power. This is grace, because the greatest joy of Christians is to experience Christ magnified in our lives."  In 2 Corinthians 12:7-8 Paul describes how God gave him a thorn in the flesh" and Paul pleaded with God to remove it and God responds in 2 Corinthians 12:9a. Piper then further explains, using 1 Corinthians 1:29 that "[i]f we feel and look self-sufficient, we will get the glory, not Christ. So, Christ chooses the weak things of the world...[a]nd sometimes he makes seemingly strong people weaker so that the divine power will be the more evident." Piper then wraps the devotion by ensuring we are encouraged by Paul's response to God's grace - that Paul boasts of his weaknesses such that God get the glory as His power and grace is evidenced in Paul's life (see also 2 Corinthians 12:9b-10).  We are also urged to see how our faith means "being satisfied with all that God is for us in Jesus."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace for me - in all things - thank You Jesus for how You have never left or forsaken me...through all of the challenges and trials.  I am not deserving of how You love and bless me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love other as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouse to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.