Friday, August 4, 2023

And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

Romans 8

And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified. Romans 8:30

As I continue to be in between studies, having wrapped up my study looking at the life of Paul using John Piper's 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul, I lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which today looks at how believers should feel "as secure as God is faithful." Security is a key need for all of humanity.  Listening to the devotion made me think of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, which of course is a secular view of how humanity seeks a higher order of needs once a certain level of needs is satisfied.  What is lost on this hierarchy is how all of these needs are in the context of creation that is wasting away and only temporary.  It is possible to move up and down this hierarchy depending on life circumstances which are beyond our control.  While my thoughts must evolve, my initial thought is that as believers experience the process of spiritual formation and maturity, we grow in feeling eternally secure which is the topic of today's devotion - and this eternal security is by definition temporal nor subject to the ups and downs of our circumstances.  John Piper, starting with Romans 8:30, in today's devotion, shares "an unbreakable chain" that "[n]o one who is predestined for sonship fails to be called. And no one who is called fails to be justified. And no one who is justified fails to be glorified. This is an unbreakable steel chain of divine covenant faithfulness."  Piper then goes on to refer us to Philippians 1:6 and 1 Corinthians 1:8-9 and use these verses as examples of "promises of our God who cannot lie. Those who are born again are as secure as God is faithful." Brother and sisters in Christ: pursue God and experience eternal security!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are so good to me and You give me eternal security with You - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of the peace of mind this provides.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus.  Help me overcome and turn from this sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.