Friday, August 18, 2023

For "[w]hoever desires to love life and see good days...let him turn away from evil and do good[.]

1 Peter 3

For "[w]hoever desires to love life and see good days...let him turn away from evil and do good[.] 1 Peter 3:10-11
 
 For my daily study, I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which today looks at 1 Peter 3:10-11 and how Peter gives hope to believers to obey hard commands.  John Piper starts the devotion by explaining how "[t]here is only one basic reason why we disobey the commands of Jesus: it’s because we don’t have heartfelt confidence that obeying will bring more blessing than disobeying. We do not hope fully in God’s promise."  Piper then highlights from the text today - in its broader context - how we are commanded to avoid vengeance - the natural inclination to seek harm from those who harm us.  Peter's hope reminds us of the blessing realized from the promise of obedience.  Piper provides Mark 10:29-30 as another text where the blessing (a hundredfold!) is realized despite loss of family and property.  Piper wraps the devotion by sharing: "[t]he only way to have the power to follow Christ in the costly way of love is to be filled with hope, with strong confidence that, if we lose our life doing his will, we will find it again and be richly rewarded forever."  Be encouraged and have confidence that obedience produces blessings!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are good and Your promises always come true - including that I will be blessed by following You regardless of the cost.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love you with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.