Monday, August 7, 2023

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

 Genesis 1

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. Genesis 1:27

For my daily study, I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which today looks at "the point of creation." John Piper starts the devotion by stating: "God made humans in his image so that the world would be filled with reflectors of God. Images of God. Seven billion statues of God. So that nobody would miss the point of creation."  Paul echoes this sentiment in Romans 1:20a where he writes that God's "invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world."  Of course, God created more than humanity - he also created nature and the heavens (see also this video - thanks to Rodney/Angela Britt from Sunday school for the reference).  Everything in creation, including humanity, nature, and the heavens point back to the glory of God.  John Piper provides additional scripture references to amplify his point:

Piper wraps the devotion by sharing in response to those who wonder why God created vastness of the heavens and earth but left most of it lifeless and empty: "[i]t’s about God. And it’s an understatement. He is more glorious. Greater in power. Greater in scope. Greater brightness. Than all the galaxies combined....God created us to know him and love him and show him. And then he gave us a hint of what he is like: the universe." God is amazing!  All glory to God!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are truly amazing and the work of Your hands is amazing - including creation!  Thank You Jesus for what You have done in creation and in my life - You are so full of grace and love for me - and You don't need me at all.  I am not deserving of such love and blessing.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.