Thursday, August 10, 2023

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions.

 Psalm 51

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Psalm 51:1

For my daily study, I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which today looks at the mystery of mercy, first by looking at David's cry for mercy in Psalm 51:1, which John shares that David reaches back to recall Exodus 34:6-7 as he writes Psalm 51. The text in Exodus emphasizes God's mercy and Piper describes how David did not understand the mystery of God's mercy in how some received it and some did not: 

“The Lord, the Lord, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, but who will by no means clear the guilty[.] Exodus 34:6-7

Piper shares: "David knew that there were guilty who would not be forgiven. And there were guilty who by some mysterious work of redemption would not be counted as guilty, but would be forgiven. Psalm 51 is his way of laying hold on that mystery of mercy."  Piper wraps the devotion by sharing that believers better understand the mystery of mercy because faith in Christ unlocks this mercy.  Believers hold onto this mercy and be thankful!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are SO good and Your mercies are new every morning - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of Your mercy - my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.