Monday, August 28, 2023

God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 Corinthians 1

God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Corinthians 1:9

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  This morning my focus is a review and study - assisted by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 1:1-9, which the commentary unpacks via three (3) divisions:

  1. God Builds His Church in a Specific Way (1:1-3).* > emphasis on how Paul is called by God and given apostolic authority "as an emissary of the Lord Jesus Christ." Sosthenes is also called out by the text and the commentary describes him as the same man mentioned in Acts 18:17 and it posits that he became a "missionary serving alongside Paul in Ephesus." The commentary then describes several attributes of the church in Corinth - which can be applied all churches: (a) the church as "positional[ly] sanctif[ied]" (vs "experiential[ly] sanctif[ied]") - where the church as a whole defined as "God's holy people in Christ;" (b-c-d) church members as saints - those who in faith call on Jesus Christ as Lord; God's people as saints are a global body - not "contained by borders or...walls"; (e) "the Lord builds his church and blesses his saints with two essential kindnesses: grace and peace" which the commentary further shares as "God's Riches At Christ's Expense (GRACE)
  2. God Gives Gifts to His Church, with Nothing Missing (1:4-7).* Here the emphasis in the text, as shared by the commentary is how graciously God provides, in particular through the distribution of spiritual gifts. It shares that "Paul draws attention to the gifts of 'all speech and all knowledge, '" and how "all spiritual gifts generally fall under one of three categories: knowledge, speaking, or service....Indeed, in Christ we get all that we will ever need to be pleasing to God and effective for God....[n]othing is missing."  
  3. God Provides Hope for His Church with Powerful Promises (1:7-9).* The church is encouraged to hold fast to the faith and to be in expectant hope based on the promises of Christ's return and eternal rewards. The commentary describes the hope and encouragement for the church in Corinth as shared in the text in v9 - despite the church's challenges: "[t]he church at Corinth may be fragmenting and headed toward a split, but God nevertheless has a hold of the believers there by his Son. He will not let his people go, no matter what. He may have to exercise some tough love, but they are his and will remain his forever. You can count on it." 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are SO good and You are so faithful! I know I can count on You and find a yes and all of Your promises!  Thank You for the hope and encouragement that only You can provide.  I am not deserving of the grace and blessings You pour out for me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the sie effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.

*Akin, Dr. Daniel L.; Merritt, James. Exalting Jesus in 1 Corinthians (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary) (p. 6). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.