Saturday, August 19, 2023

[I]f you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Romans 10

[I]f you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9 

For my daily study, I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which today looks at what the resurrection means for believers.  John Piper opens the devotion with a provocative challenge - that believers truly examine what the resurrection means as posited in Romans 10:9.  Piper state that Satan believed in the resurrection - not as a heart matter but as an intellectual concept and perhaps as best a historical reality.  But Satan did not believe in the resurrection as a matter of faith, that God died on the cross, rose and defeated death 3 days later, and lives on through the Holy Spirit in those who believe and have faith in Him.  Piper shares: "[t]he resurrection is the promise of God that all who trust Jesus will be the beneficiaries of God’s power to lead us in paths of righteousness and through the valley of death. Therefore, believing in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead is much more than accepting a fact. It means being confident that God is for you, that he has closed ranks with you, that he is transforming your life, and that he will save you for eternal joy...It means being so confident of God’s power and love that no fear of worldly loss or greed for worldly gain will lure us to disobey his will. That’s the difference between Satan and the saints."  Piper concludes the devotion by pointing us to Deuteronomy 30:6 with the hope that "God [would] circumcise the hearts" of the readers of this devotion to "love the Lord [their] God with all [their] heart and with all [their] soul, that [they] may live." Amen!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are SO good - and all of Your promises come true - You are SO faithful!  Thank You for the blessings of my salvation and Your faithfulness.  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.