Thursday, August 17, 2023

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name!

Psalm 103

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name! Psalm 103:1

For my daily study, I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which today looks at how David seeks to bless the Lord in Psalm 103.  John Piper highlights how David seeks for his soul to bless the Lord because for God to be truly glorified any act we do must be out of an overflow of love and reverence for God - which is of course a heart condition.  Piper continues that David knew this and Piper uses - by way of warning and contrast - Jesus's words from Matthew 15:8 where Jesus accuses the Pharisees of hypocrisy for their self-serving deeds of obedience to the law that did not reflect a genuine and true love of God - from the heart.  We should all go to God as much as we can to know Him, and in turn love Him with all of our heart, soul, and mind (Matthew 22:37).

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are SO good...and worthy of all honor and glory forever and ever!  Thank You for all the blessings You pour out for me.  I am not deserving of such love and blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.