Monday, August 21, 2023

These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.

 John 15

These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. John 15:11

For my daily study, I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which today looks at how God is "unshakably happy."  John Piper opens the devotion today by stating that "God is absolutely sovereign", referring us to Psalm 115:3.  He then describes how God is "not frustrated," as He "rejoices in all his works when he contemplates them as colors of the magnificent mosaic of redemptive history."  Piper further describe God's happiness by sharing how the foundation of such happiness is based in "the delight he has in himself." We are referred to Matthew 3:17 as an example of this foundation.  God is also pleased in creation - which Piper indicate "reflect his glory."  We are referred to Psalm 19:1 and 104:31 where this plays out. Finally, God delights in the praise of His people, as Piper points to Psalm 150:2 and 147:10-11. Piper concludes today's devotion by emphasizing that the praise of God by His people is not only a delight of God, but also "the apex of our joy....[as our p]raise is the consummation of the joy we have in seeing and savoring the greatness of God."  Experience the joy of a happy God!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God in whom there is fullness of joy!  Thank You Jesus for giving me life...to the full!  I am not deserving of such joy.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.