Tuesday, August 8, 2023

The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord.

 Proverbs 16

The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord. Proverbs 16:33

For my daily study, I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which today looks at God's providence over all aspects of the natural order.  Quoting Matthew 10:29-30, John Piper starts by sharing that "[i]n other words, there are no events so small that he does not rule them for his purposes."  Providing another example of God's sovereignty over nature, Piper goes on to quote Jonah and how God "commands a fish to swallow a man (Jonah 1:17), he commands a plant to grow for shade (Jonah 4:6), and he commands a worm to kill it (Jonah 4:7)." He further describes God's sovereignty over the heavens, quoting Isaiah 40:26.  Piper closes today's devotion with a call to "stand in awe and be at peace, knowing that no natural event is outside of God’s wise and good purposes, and perfect control."

For a more extensive examination of this topic, see John Piper's book Providence.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who created all things, is in all things and holds all things together - and You have my life in the palm of Your hands.  You don't need me, and yet even though I am broken, You reach down into the details of my life - and You reveal Your love and grace to me - saving me from eternal damnation.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.