Thursday, August 24, 2023

Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.

 Romans 1

Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. Romans 1:22-23

For my daily study, I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which today provides an admonishment to those who turn away from the Creator, focusing instead on creation.  Having just returned from a vacation in the U.S. southwest, including the Grand Canyon and Sedona - both places rich in stunning natural beauty - I can easily see how some may go down the path of worship of creation vs the Creator. Reading the surrounding verses in Romans 1 - beyond what John Piper highlights today (v22-23) - it's hard for me, as a believer, to see how creation does not reflect the Creator and His intelligent design.  I agree with Paul where he writes in Romans 1:19: "what can be known about God is plain to [the unfaithful], because God has shown it to them." Piper also highlights Psalm 19:1-2 where David writes: "[t]he heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge." As I did not spend quiet time with God yesterday, I am reminded how easily, even for the faithful, it is to step away and ignore God.  God please restore me to Yourself and keep me close to You!  Help me worship the Creator!  All glory to God!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are great and You are the source of all things in Heaven and on Earth.  Your glory is plain for all to see!  Thank You God how You provide creation for us to enjoy - just one of the many blessings You pour out for Your children.  I am not deserving of this or any of the blessings You pour out for me.  Please forgive me for my neglect of You.  Help me turn from my neglect and turn towards You.  Help me daily run to You and stay near You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength. Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.