Friday, August 11, 2023

[W]e always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by his power, so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

 2 Thessalonians 1

[W]e always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by his power, so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Thessalonians 1:11-12

For my daily study, I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which today looks at the "different tenses of grace."  John Piper unpacks this concept by sharing how grace is "God’s disposition to do good for us when we don’t deserve it — we call this undeserved favor”.  For example, salvation for believers (election and justification) is undeserved...and in the past.  Piper also describes grace as "a power from God that acts in our lives and makes good things happen in us and for us — which we also don’t deserve."  He further explains that "the power that actually works in our lives to make Christ-exalting obedience possible is an exertion of the grace of God."  Piper points not only to 2 Thessalonians 1:11-12 but also to 1 Corinthians 15:10, where Piper describes how Paul shares that "grace is an active, present, transformative, obedience-enabling power."  Acknowledge and be grateful of grace past, present and future as both undeserved and as a power working in you!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and whose grace is an amazing power in life that is undeserved as well as active now and in the future as You work in my life - thank You Jesus!  Of course I am undeserving...my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.