Wednesday, August 30, 2023

For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

1 Corinthians 1

For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. 1 Corinthians 1:17

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review and study - assisted by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 1:10-17, which the commentary unpacks via a main idea* and four (4) divisions*:

Main Idea: The family of God should unite with one another in Christ, refusing to create divisions or to elevate anyone as more important. 

In the introduction, the commentary describes how the church in Corinth fought over a "cult of personality" where (see v12) instead of everyone focusing and following Jesus, some followed Paul, some Apollos, and some Cephas. It continues by sharing*: "[d]ividing into political parties may be the way of the world, but it should not be the practice of the people of God. There could not be a more relevant word for the twenty-first-century church. Our eyes and ears need to be wide open to the counsel of God’s appointed apostle here. God is speaking through him. So, let us explore what divides and even destroys a church."

  1.  You Stop Thinking Like Jesus (1:10): Paul appeals to the Corinthian church in a gentle manner and invokes Jesus' name to ensure the church sees how it is God who seeks unity - not simply an opinion of Paul. The commentary refers us to Philippians 2:2, 5, and 4:2 where Paul discusses how the entire church should think and act as one with one purpose - to glorify God in all that they do and to bring the Good News to all nations. Paul believes the Corinthians had lost this unity and single-mindedness and were not demonstrating love of God and others.  
  2.  You Start Fussing and Fighting with One Another (1:11). The commentary reminds us how church infighting (in person, online, and behind people's backs) distracts the church from its mission: "a watching world was being turned off the gospel of Jesus Christ in the process."
  3.  You Buy into the Cult of Personality (1:12-13).  The commentary* describes each of those called out in v12: "(a) Paul: their founder, who was just an average preacher; (b) Apollos: the eloquent preacher from Alexandria; (c) expositor extraordinaire Cephas (i.e., Peter): the Jewish apostle and pillar of the church from the inner circle of Jesus; (d) Jesus: the Savior!."  The commentary* reminds us that we should avoid "put[ting] a person on a pedestal that belongs only to Jesus." We are to "take pride in Jesus and only him!"  On these notes, the commentary refers us to Colossians 1:18 and Galatians 6:14.
  4.  You Forget What Matters Most (1:14-17).

 Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves and who is full of grace and mercy for me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessing.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.

*Akin, Dr. Daniel L.; Merritt, James. Exalting Jesus in 1 Corinthians (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.