Thursday, August 3, 2023

[Y]ou were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

1 Corinthians 6

 [Y]ou were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. 1 Corinthians 6:20

As I continue to be in between studies, having wrapped up my study looking at the life of Paul using John Piper's 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul, I lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which today looks at why God created our earthly bodies, or for that matter any aspect of the physical-material universe (as John Piper puts it).  Piper shares that God created everything - including all of creation - for His glory.  Piper refers us to Psalm 19:1 where the psalmist writes "[t]he heavens declare the glory of God[.]"  Piper goes on to explore why God goes to the trouble to create something that is fallen, broken, and full of tragedy and suffering.  Piper says: "[b]ecause his Son paid the price of death so that the Father’s purpose for the material universe would be fulfilled, namely, that he would be glorified in it, including in our bodies, forever and ever."  See also Romans 12:1 where we are called to "present [our] bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship."  Simply put we exist to glorify God.  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who does not need me but nonetheless loves me and saved me - not out of anything I did but purely out of love and grace.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and grace.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.