Saturday, August 26, 2023

I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment. For it has been reported to me by Chloe's people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers. What I mean is that each one of you says, “I follow Paul,” or “I follow Apollos,” or “I follow Cephas,” or “I follow Christ.”

1 Corinthians 1

I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment.  For it has been reported to me by Chloe's people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers. What I mean is that each one of you says, “I follow Paul,” or “I follow Apollos,” or “I follow Cephas,” or “I follow Christ.”1 Corinthians 1:10-12

This morning I started a new study of Paul's letters, beginning with those that follow Romans, with the first being 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book. The introduction of the commentary provides an overview of the entire book and it describes how church is messy because it is "filled with people" who are by definition fallen and sinful - demonstrating "flaws, defects, and weaknesses"*. The commentary highlights Corinth as the one church that best "exhibited [the sinful nature of humanity within the church] more[so] than [any other church] in the first century....It was a mess theologically, practically, and morally."*  Paul does not waste much time getting to the many challenges within this church, which he planted and where he spent significant time, first sharing how the church should be united and not following a "cult of personality" as described by the commentary.  By way of application, while it is not necessarily a bad thing to prefer a church based on the sermons delivered by its pastor(s), from my own personal experience, a church is appropriate for us based on how it supports - holistically - your entire family's journey with Christ.  This is difficult to assess from sermons alone or from a single individual (i.e. pastor) from the church, and it takes time to engage with as much of the church as possible to determine its fit. As I jump into this book, it's important to emphasize what the commentary shares as Paul's intent for this letter to the church in Corinth: "to correct the worldly attitudes and arrogance of the church and to encourage them to pursue a godly lifestyle and doctrinal purity."*

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for Your grace as I - as well as all those who attend church - are sinful and undeserving of our salvation and the blessings that follow.  We are no better than Corinth.  Thank You for Your grace.  Again I am not deserving...my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.

*Akin, Dr. Daniel L.; Merritt, James. Exalting Jesus in 1 Corinthians (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.