Saturday, August 5, 2023

God also said to Moses, “Say this to the people of Israel: ‘The Lord, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, and thus I am to be remembered throughout all generations.

Exodus 3

God also said to Moses, “Say this to the people of Israel: ‘The Lord, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, and thus I am to be remembered throughout all generations. Exodus 3:15

As I continue to be in between studies, having wrapped up my study looking at the life of Paul using John Piper's 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul, I lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which today looks at attributes of God based on how He is referred to as Yahweh.  Piper highlights the exchange between God and Moses at the burning bush in Exodus 3 to help us better understand who God is.  He then lists 10 attributes of God based on His name Yahweh or "I am":
  1. He never had a beginning.
  2. God will never end.
  3. God is absolute reality. There is no reality before him. There is no reality outside of him unless he wills it and makes it. He is all that was eternally. No space, no universe, no emptiness. Only God.
  4. God is utterly independent. 
  5. Everything that is not God depends totally on God. 
  6. All the universe is by comparison to God as nothing.
  7. God is constant.  
  8. God is the absolute standard of truth and goodness and beauty.
  9. God does whatever he pleases and it is always right and always beautiful and always in accord with truth.
  10. God is the most important and most valuable reality and person in the universe.

One attribute not discussed in today's devotion is how God is all knowing - omniscient.  This is important for believers because God's knows all about our sin yet He still loves and saves us...He poured out his grace and love for us by going to the cross for us...amazing grace!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who knows everything about me, including my sin, yet loves me enough to die for me.  Amazing....grace.  Thank You Jesus! Of course I am not deserving of such grace...my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.