Friday, August 25, 2023

Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word[.]

 Ephesians 5

Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word[.] Ephesians 5:25-26

For my daily study, I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which today looks at how God's unconditional love is not the "sweetest experience of [God's] love" according to John Piper.  First, the elephant in the room for many regarding the highlighted text is that Piper is not focusing on marriage and how husbands are commanded to love their wives.  Instead, Piper first describes how God does have unconditional love for us and this is the basis for our election, justification and salvation as we are not deserving of such love and blessing but God provides for these things unconditionally.  Piper then proceeds to describe how the sanctification process is where God loves us conditionally based on the extent to which that sanctification process matures and we progressively become more like Him, reflect His glory and please Him.  Piper shares: the "sweetest experience [of God's love] is conditional on our transformation into the kind of people whose emotions and choices and actions please God....When [God] unconditionally chooses us, and sends Christ to die for us, and regenerates us, he puts in motion an unstoppable process of transformation that makes us glorious. He gives us a splendor to match his favorite kind: his own." Piper moves from Ephesians 5:25-26 to verse 27 where Paul writes how Christ "present[s] the church to himself in splendor."  Piper concludes the devotion by writing: "[i]t is unspeakably wonderful that God would unconditionally set his favor on us while we are still unbelieving sinners. The ultimate reason this is wonderful is that this unconditional love brings us into the everlasting enjoyment of his glorious presence. But the apex of that enjoyment is that we not only see his glory, but also reflect it." In closing we are referred to 2 Thessalonians 1:12.  We should all seek to please God by progressively reflecting His glory.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves us and who not only loves us unconditionally, but also never leaves or forsakes us and continues to be with us working in our hearts and lives such that we are transformed into more of Your likeness that we can enjoy You more and You can be please more with us!  Incredible - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessing.  My sin is great and it continues...please forgive me and help me turn from such sin and overcome it and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.