Wednesday, July 19, 2023

For even when we came into Macedonia, our bodies had no rest, but we were afflicted at every turn—fighting without and fear within. But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus[.]

2 Corinthians 7

For even when we came into Macedonia, our bodies had no rest, but we were afflicted at every turn—fighting without and fear within. But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus[.] 2 Corinthians 7:5-6

I continue my study looking at the life of Paul using John Piper's 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul.  Today, I move to chapter twenty-four - Not a Conforming Chameleon, and Not a Ministering Maverick.  Here, John Piper loves and admires Paul for how he modeled Jesus' commands to pursue mission causes not alone as some sort of rugged individualist, but as a team with the parts interdependent on each other.  Piper starts by describing this: "[Paul] was not a lone-wolf kind of leader. He believed in teams and never intended to travel alone or do his mission work without living in some kind of supportive Christian community.*"  Piper provides Mark 6:7 and Luke 10:1 as the scriptural basis for Jesus's commands that sent out the apostles "two by two."  Piper then describes how throughout Paul's life in ministry he rarely traveled and ministered alone by choice.  In Acts 17:13-15, Paul, Silas, and Timothy were ministering together in Thessalonica but due to the danger of rioting separated due to necessity and for Paul's protection - Piper encourages us to see Paul's reaction where he sought to reunite as quickly as possible.   Yet another example is provided by Piper in Acts 15:39-40, where Paul and Barnabas had a sharp disagreement about where to travel to - but in the end they still did not travel alone but instead Paul with Silas and Barnabas with John Mark.  Piper wraps the devotion by sharing one final scripture example from 2 Corinthians 7:5-6 where Paul is greatly comforted by having Titus join him.

*John Piper. 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are SO good as You have provided many, many brothers and sisters in Christ who have modeled teamwork and partnership with me in so many areas.  Thank You Jesus.  I am not deserving of such blessings!  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from such sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.