Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.

Psalm 30

Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5b

I continue my study looking at the life of Paul using John Piper's 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul.  Today, I move to chapter seventeen - A Global Grasp of Suffering and a Heart of Personal Empathy.  Here, John Piper explains his love and admiration of Paul for how Paul helps believers understand not just God's plan behind personal suffering, but also his design for suffering on a global scale.  Piper shares that it is rare that someone such as Paul can articulate both points of view so eloquently.  He traces how Paul displayed this gift early on in the formation of the church in Acts 14:21-22 where Paul writes that he returned to newly formed churches encouraging them to see God in their suffering, and to endure because "through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God." Piper provides additional passages of scripture where Paul clearly states the role of suffering in God's design: 2 Timothy 3:12, 1 Thessalonians 3:3, and 2 Thessalonians 1:4-5. Piper then moves to help us see how Paul shares how suffering on a global scale and in creation itself is part of God's design from the very beginning: Romans 8:20-23 and Genesis 2:17. As hard as it is to accept, God intends for us and creation to be subject to suffering and futility - although Piper wants us also to understand that it is not punishment and it is limited but redemption by Christ provides hope in this life and eternally. Piper wraps the chapter by sharing: "physical miseries of the creation are a visible and deeply felt witness to the moral ugliness and outrage of sin....God subjected the physical world to corruption to show us the outrage of sin at the one point where we really feel it.  This is how serious our moral condition is before God.*"

*John Piper. 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are SO good in how You provide hope and encouragement to endure the suffering of this life and how we can even have joy through the suffering as we focus on how You never leave or forsake us and how we have power over the sting of sin and death.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You bless in these ways.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.